Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Smartie Medicine

Last year in 1st grade, I found that many children got very anxious and nervous about taking tests. I wanted to come up with a way to ease some of that stress beforehand so they could really feel at ease and concentrate on their work. Completely off the top of my head, I came up with something called Smartie Medicine. What started off as a quick thinking idea has now been a major part of our test taking routine, even in 2nd grade.

 Before each major test, each child has to make sure they have their Smartie Medicine. I explain to them that I already know they are geniuses, but I want to make sure their brains are warmed up and well fed! :) Here are the rules:

- Each child gets a pack of Smarties.
- They cannot touch their Smarties until everyone has their own pack. Sometimes I tell them to sit on their hands if they think it might be too hard to keep hands off.
- Once everyone has their Smarties, I set the timer for 3 minutes. During this 3 minutes they can quietly talk with those at their table and eat their Smarties.
- If they wish to save their Smarties for during their test, that's fine! I only ask that they go ahead and open the wrapper so it doesn't make so much noise.
- When the timer goes off, they know their time is up. Privacy folders are set up and mouths are zipped!

I can't believe how much they enjoy this! And it DOES really seem to make them more relaxed. This is why we are always in constant need for our Smartie Medicine! :)

 I like how Harry is STILL trying to get to those Smarties, even when sitting on his hands!
 Alright Mrs. Kellett, set the timer already.
 Cheesin'!
 Sweet faces, ready to work those brains.
Such patient kids!
  Okay, last table picture and then we get to eat our Smarties!!
 And the your Smartie time starts... NOW!

 Reagan loves her Smartie Medicine. She wants to enjoy each one of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment